Thursday, January 9, 2014

Random Musing #1

#1: Dog eats Dog...

So, in one of my earlier blog, I pointed out a guy selling tokens. This guy generates his own token, BUT, uses patched files from the original developer. What this guy did is reversed-engineered the solution and started generating his own token, then sells them. Geez, what a rip off

And I didn't think it would get worse!!! So, another guy bought a token from then first developer. He then again reversed-engineered this, "created patches" and pass it on as his own. D'uh. And this is actually worse. The first developer, uses 2 patched files, the new guy patches 3. This tells me he didn't really know what he's doing and just patches things left and right. VERY dangerous

...And it gets worse still!!! I learned of a guy who got a token from me, and is now selling token too, derived from the third guy. Next thing you know, he'll mix and match solution, ending up with a FrankenToken lol.

See, these guys bit the hands that fed them. Keep doing that and the hands will eventually stop feeding. These guys chose to ripped people off. We're not exactly saints, but I spent a lot of time developing my original solution without looking at others work. I came up with a patchless solution because I not only studied the software, but the platform which it was built on. I was very careful in my method and made sure the app remained true for whatever it is designed to do.

Dog eats dog, pirates pirating the hackers. Back in the days, these never happened and we had code. We had respect for each others work. We collaborated when we needed something from each other and not rip each other.

#2: 3.22.x ~ 3.24.x is defeated

As most already know, I came up with the first ever patchless solution, but not only it is patchless, it's multi-version as well. The same 20kb file, the same token can be use from version 3.22.x up to and including 3.24.3, or whatever the latest version is on the 3.24 series.

So, this is no news anymore, time to move on

But then...came 3.25.x!!!

#3: 3.25

3.25 came out last year. It was almost redesigned, security-wise. I can almost say, the only change that was implemented was everything about the security. I can't say whether it was the programmer's decision or that of the Architect's, but if I was the PM, I'd be majorly pissed at the direction it went. It added no value, and only caused problem.

3.25.2 would not even FDL code!!! But guess what? I made it run and coded my car. 3.25.3 fixed the issue with FDL coding, but the UI bug remained. The software as a whole is solid, and I give props to the whole development team. It's just that 3.25 shouldn't have went where it did.

3.25 series was a pain. And let me tell you that I spent more time analyzing it than I did on the previous versions. And this is me armed with previous knowledge. It was hard and I almost doubted whether it can be done or not.

And that, folks, is why you don't trust pirates! These guys are selling it for cheap, and why not? They didn't have to do anything. But then, ask them if they can support you, or if you can get upgrade.

#4: Unbeatable?

With the amount of time and effort it took to beat 3.25.x, it's not too far off to think that eventually, we'll be faced with an unbeatable software. This is when the hand stops feeding, the hand will stop giving. Instead of a software that costs few pennies, we'll all end up with a software that is pretty much out of everyone's reach, including mine. And we'll all have the pirates to thank for.

No comments:

Post a Comment